Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Life, Interrupted: Six Techniques to deal with Cancer

http://papillary-thyroidcancer.com/tips-to-help-you-cope-with-cancer/
Life, Interrupted: Six Techniques to deal with Cancer
Folks are always giving advice to cancer patients. Be it nutritional advice or doctor recommendations or easy methods to quell the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy, just once people hear you happen to be sick they generally desire to find a way to help. Most of the advice is welcome and encouraging, though in some cases you’re just not in the mood to hear what someone has learned because you’re too busy treading water.

That’s one reason I hesitate to lend any advice in any way. I’m only 24. I’ve had cancer for 16 months now. It feels like forever to me, but it’s a short period of time compared with people I know who are going on 5 or 7 or 10 years living with cancer. But I’ve received some heartfelt advice and solidarity in the process from fellow cancerpatients and doctors, friends - even from strangers - and features meant much to me. It’s been 16 months since my diagnosis and four months since my bone marrow transplant, now I wish to share what I’ve learned in the process.

Listed below are six strategies who have helped me to deal with cancer.

Find Your Community

Initially, I bristled at the thought of a cancer community. It absolutely was enough to possess cancer; did I must also share my knowledge of a small group of strangers? It felt like extra homework. I hesitated for several months before going to my first cancer support group meeting. It absolutely was overwhelming to imagine hearing 12 other stories as bad as, or worse than, mine.

But something surprising happened. I started seeing a young adult cancer support group with a Gilda’s Club in upstate Ny. The first time since my diagnosis, I became mindful of the reality that I used to be not by yourself inside my fears and anxieties. Instead of feeling isolated in my experience with cancer, I began to realize there was an amazing community of people out there who were going through the same thing and could help me make sense of what was happening because they had been there themselves. As opposed to feeling overwhelmed through the stories in the other cancer patients, I felt empowered and inspired by their strength and bravery.

I’ve also found a surprisingly vibrant cancer network in virtual space - on Twitter, elsewhere and Facebook. But in my experience, nothing can replace face-to-face interaction - even if no words are exchanged - with someone else who understands what you’re going through. 2 of my closest friends are people around my age whom I met on the hospital. We don’t speak about cancer on a regular basis. But knowing we can go there if we need to is invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment